Re: Licenses for DebConf6

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:46:24 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:00:55AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 03:26:58PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> > Why fight at all? If having a free license is so obviously
>> > correct, why force people to do it? If some people are
>> > uncomfortable with it, why fight that?
>> Even within Debian, it's become clear to me that, if we want
>> DFSG-free things, it has to be mandatory and enforced,

> Of course, within Debian DFSG-freeness isn't mandatory or enforced:
> you can upload to non-free instead of main just by tweaking your
> control file.

        I am sure you are aware that is not part of Debian. Perhaps it
 was wring not to throw non-free archives  off Debian machines, if
 such confusion is rampant.

> And that lack of compulsion, coupled with a fairly strong
> endorsement of DFSG-free content has resulted in DFSG-free software
> making up 98% of unstable.

        And 100% of Debian.

> I don't believe I've seen anyone debate my use of the (aiui)
> non-DFSG-free CC ShareAlike/Attrib clause on my debbugs paper this
> year.

        I was not aware  that you were soliciting opinions. If you
 are, I find it deplorable. I saw no benefit in sharing my opinion
 after the fact, but am perfectly willing to do so if you think my
 rectitude was implicit approval.

> There's no actual requirement for debate there either, the people
> who want to license their paper in non-DFSG-free way can happily
> leave the last word to the DFSG advocates because they don't have to
> debate to get their way;

        Only if they want their papers in a collection which is
 actually part of Debian, they do too.

> and the advocacy and arguments about the DFSG are more likely to
> have a long term effect than the license on any paper presented at a
> conference.

        Any advocacy of the DFSG by an organization that happily
 accepts non-free licenses when it is convenient, smacks so much of
 hypocrisy to be unpersuasive. But that is just my opinion.

You have the power to influence all with whom you come in contact.