Re: GPL & Binary

MJ Ray wrote:

>Your academy sounds broken. If you care about their approval,
>there's not probably nothing you can do without asking them
>and doing exactly what they want. You seem to believe your plan
>will be controversial, so check with them beforehand. Maybe it
>would be less risky to wait until your course marks are given?

Well, I have mixed feelings about this university. On one hand, it's the
best university in portugal, kind of like MIT on a portuguese scale. If
I want to achieve the best possible certification this is definitely the
place to be in. On the other hand, it kind of reminds me of microsoft.
It has grown to be way too proud of itself for it's own good. It became
arrogant to the point where it's now impossible for them to accept the
fact that thing's aren't right and that they need to change. They are
considered to be the best and, as such, feel that it's acceptable for
them to do things in whichever way they want. They are the best and if
people want to study there they will have to submit to their way of
doing things.

I don't think the plan will be controversial. In fact, I believe that it
will be accepted and supported. It's not a question of waiting until
course marks are given. The program I want to release has nothing to
with any subject that I'm taking. The only issue there is that we have
countless subjects where we will have to code multiple applications and
I might want to re-use some of the routines from that program.

>Personally, I'd publicly flame them to a well-done crisp for what
>they did to your friend, if it's really as bad as you say. But
>I'm unreasonable like that :-)

That's what I would do if it happened to me as well. I told my friend to
do it but he decided not to, partially because the board responsible for
that subject kept delaying their decision until the end of the semester.
They kept my friend hoping that his project would be accepted. He didn't
complain because he was afraid they would use their decision as some
form of retaliation.