Re: GPL & Binary

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 10:16:00PM +0100, Jo?o Pinheiro wrote:
> A few days ago I developed a small C application which I'd like to
> distribute (source code included) to help university freshmen  this
> year. The problem is that I'm using some routines and ADTs which I'm
> definitely going to need in other subjects in the future. Most teachers
> here have a really strict policy regarding similar pieces of code so I
> don't really want anyone to have access to those routines yet.
> The solution for this would be to release those routines in a compiled
> object file along with the source code for the application itself. Does
> the GPL allow me to do this or would I have to go with the BDS license
> for such a release?
You, as the author, can do whatever you want.  One who modifies the
source code (which you aren't distributing) must make it available
under the GPL.  So, one cannot modify the source code.  I don't see
anything preventing you from doing this.

You are concerned about students being accused of ripping off your
code, no?  Why don't you just put a header on it (say, the GPL header)
with a URL pointing to the canonical online location of the code, and
an explanation, targetted towards teachers, explaining that the code
is freely available?  Of course, teachers might also object to
receiving code licensed under the GPL, but ..

--
Clear skies,
Justin