Re: GPL & Binary

Justin Pryzby wrote:

>>You, as the author, can do whatever you want.  One who modifies the
>>source code (which you aren't distributing) must make it available
>>under the GPL.  So, one cannot modify the source code.  I don't see
>>anything preventing you from doing this.

Thank you for the clarification.

>>You are concerned about students being accused of ripping off your
>>code, no?  Why don't you just put a header on it (say, the GPL header)
>>with a URL pointing to the canonical online location of the code, and
>>an explanation, targetted towards teachers, explaining that the code
>>is freely available?  Of course, teachers might also object to
>>receiving code licensed under the GPL, but ..

That's not quite it. I'm concerned with students using the code for
those specific ADTs and routines in subjects that I might also be
taking. There would be problems if both some student and I submitted a
project with identical pieces of code. Not only would such projects be
rejected, both of us would end up being accused of copying.

The best option is to release the application source along with the
compiled routines and ADTs. I can include extensive info about the
routines and ADTs in the header files in case they want to code them
themselves.