Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:36:27PM -0700, Sean Kellogg wrote:

> > > Yes, it is the intention. How about a license like:
> > >   Do whatever you want.
> > > The only argument I have heard against this is that you (or your heirs)
> > > may later say "Oh, but I didn't really mean *anything*." Which seems
> > > silly to me, but perhaps that's why I'm a programmer and not a
> > > lawyer.
>
> Perhaps lawyers are silly, but I think the law is getting a bad rap in
> this conversation.  The issue is not with "evil heirs" but with
> termination rights and market forces.  Consider for a moment a budding

I think there are actually two issues we're talking about. I was
mentioning a line of reasoning I have seen here[1], which indicates that
we must be explicit in crafting PD-ish licenses, because our heirs can
bring suit, saying that the original author "couldn't have really meant
to do something so clearly to his detriment."

You are, as you say, talking about termination rights. But wouldn't
those be just as much an issue here as they are with, say, the GPL?

-Peff

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/04/msg00485.html