Re: Is this license DFSG free?

On Saturday 11 June 2005 05:10 pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net> writes:
> > Sean Kellogg wrote:
> >> "You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating
> >> that you changed the files and the date of any change." Doesn't this
> >> violate the Dissident test and cause troubles for our poor totalitarian
> >> state citizen?
> >
> > No, because the following statement is allowed by the GPL, and does not
> > reveal the identity of the dissident:
> >
> > "This file was changed on December 10, 2004."
>
> Whether that's allowed by the GPL depends on the interpretation of the
> phrase "stating that you changed the files".

Agreed.

The setence is ambigous if broken down sufficiently.  However, if the
Anthony's language is sufficient, it strikes me that the GPL is way too
verbose.  All you would need the GPL to say to require such a limited
changelog would be "provide a notice of the date of any change" without
reference to "you."  It is interesting the GPL-FAQ has nothing to say about
the topic.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
2nd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown