Re: Question about freeness of XyMTeX license [2nd try]

"Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> wrote:
> On 04/15/2005 09:17 AM, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> > %% Copying of this file is authorized only if either
> > %%
> > %%  (1) you make absolutely no changes to your copy, including name and
> > %%      directory name
> > %%  (2) if you do make changes,
> > %%      (a) you name it something other than the names included in the
> > %%          ``chemist'' directory and
> > %%      (b) you acknowledge the original name.
> > %%  This restriction ensures that all standard styles are identical.
> > %%
> > %% =======================================
> > %%
> > %% This file is a modification of latex.tex (LaTeX2.09) and of latex.ltx
> > %% (a LaTeX2e), the reused parts of which is subject to
> > %% Copyright 1994 the LaTeX3 project and the individual authors (For further
> > %% copyright information see the file legal.txt of the LaTeX2e standard
> > %% distribution, and any other copyright indicated in this file.)
> > [end license]
> >
> > Assuming that by "copying", upstream really means "public
> > redistribution" (something which I have already emailed him to clarify),
> > is this acceptable for main?  Can "Public redistribution is authorized
> > if..." be considered a grant of permission?  If so, my understanding is
> > that the restrictions in option (2) are permissible under the DFSG's
> > "Integrity of the author's source code", correct?

In my opinion, this software:
* MIGHT have free redistribution (DFSG 1),
+ includes source code (DFSG 2),
* MIGHT permit derived works (DFSG 3),
+ asserts acceptably integrity of the author's source (DFSG 4),
+ doesn't discriminate against people (DFSG 5),
+ doesn't discriminate against fields of endeavour (DFSG 6),
* MIGHT allow distribution of licence (DFSG 7),
+ is not specific to debian (DFSG 8),
+ does not contaminate other software (DFSG 9).

You are wise to check the MIGHTs by email IMO, for the questions you
gave.

I also wonder whether this licence can be used for works derived from
file under the LPPL - is latex.tex or latex.ltx under LPPL 1.3?
Others here know the LPPL better than I do.

--
MJR/slef