Re: sql-ledger may belong in non-free

Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> writes:

> Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:
>
>> By the way, this text seems to be gone.  (There are still some bogus
>> trademark claims on that page--IANAL, but I doubt a trademark allows
>> them to prevent people from using "sql-ledger" in domain names as long
>> as the use isn't confusing--but they probably don't affect the software,
>> or at least the name could be removed if it became a problem.)
>
> If Intel can [1], why not these guys?
>
> [1] http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/54177

Anybody can make atrocious claims, but that doesn't necessarily mean
they have a point. Although Intel asked the owner of the domain
"fehmarn-inside.de" to stop using the term "inside" until 31-Jan-2005,
the web site is still online and still has "inside" in the domain name
as well as on the web page itself.

That said, Intel's argumentation seems to be based on the fact that
"inside" is not a German word and therefore not a generic term in a
German language context. This argumentation wouldn't work in an English
language context.

Martin