Re: Debian export question: JAPAN and the world

Thanks Don

Yes, regarding the export of cryptographic material from Japan, we also believe that compliance documentation will need to be provided and we are currently in the process of obtaining legal council. Howeverm I was hoping that such compliance documentation may already exist based on the following logic (please correct me if I am wrong):

[1] Japan has several Debian mirrors
[2] the existence of Debian mirror in Japan means that Debian is exported from Japan
[3] ergo:  Debian.org has filed compliance documentation with the Japanese government bureau that controls such matters

questions for debian-legal:
1.  Was export compliance documentation prepared and submitted for every country where a Debian mirror exists?
2.  Can such documentation be made available to the public?
3.  If so can we expect to see it linked to the debian.org/legal site?
4.  If this is something debian-legal wants to pursue is there any way I can help? (for japan)

The reason, I pose these questions is because if such documents have indeed been filed for Japan or any other country it would be *incredibly helpful if they were "open-sourced" to provide as a reference for when an exporter like my Japanese company needs wants to use Debian.

- Satoshi

On Apr 5, 2005 2:27 PM, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005, Satoshi Kawase (Fukuoka) wrote:
> I work for a major Japanese electronics company and we would like
> include Debian into one of our new products.

Excellent.

> While I've found lots of information regarding how to export Debian
> outside the U.S. ( http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain is
> excellent) I have found little information on how to export Debian
> from Japan or for that matter other countries.

Yes, this is basically because Debian has never really had to deal
with this problem, since it's currently[1] much easier to just export
from the US machines themselves, and handle country specific
regulations in country.

Unfortunatly, to really answer these questions appropriately, you're
going to need to retain legal advice of someone intimately familiar
with Japanese export controls and see what needs to be done.[2] As few
of us are lawyers, let alone lawyers in Japan who are expert in export
controls, we can't really give you any real legal advice.

If retaining an attorney for a few hours poses a problem to help draft
whatever semi-automated compliance documentation is needed, you may be
able to work around the export restrictions[3] by allowing customers
to download the cryptographic software directly from Debian's mirrors.

Don Armstrong

1: Before crypto-in-main we did this by exporting from a country
without these pesky laws.

2: You may want to use the current techique for dealing with the US
export laws as a starting point in your discussions with your
attorney.

3: Assuming you don't actually need any cryptographic packages
installed to get your product in a distributable state.
--
Guns Don't Kill People.
*I* Kill People.

http://www.donarmstrong.com              http://rzlab.ucr.edu