Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:49:42PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> > When one work requires the other in order to function, then you have
> > gotten past mere aggregation.  So Emacs is not required for Kaffe to
> > work, or vice versa.  Putting them on the same medium is mere
> > aggregation.
>
> "Requires to run" is a debian packaging concept , and is not a
>  restriction which is expressed in the GPL.

The GPL puts restrictions on whole works.  "Requires to run" is a
useful heuristic to determine what a whole work is.  If you have a
better heuristic, I am open to discussion.  But I have only seen
people talk about derivative works, and the GPL clearly goes beyond
just derived works.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu