Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:53:03PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> The GPL puts restrictions on whole works.

True.

> "Requires to run" is a useful heuristic to determine what a whole
> work is.

Kaffe does not require Eclipse to run.  So by this heuristic,
Eclipse is not a part of Kaffe.

> If you have a better heuristic, I am open to discussion.

"Requires to build".

"Incorporates content from".

"Designed as part of".

> But I have only seen people talk about derivative works, and the GPL
> clearly goes beyond just derived works.

[1] I don't think this phrase "derivative works" means what you think
it means.

[2] Whether or not Eclipse + Kaffe is a derivative work of Kaffe is not
the issue, in my opinion.

In other words: derivative works include "mere aggregation".

--
Raul