Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free ?

Alexander Sack <asac@jwsdot.com> writes:

> I don't want to negotiate on the names (again) unless we find a
> solution that has the backup from debian, from the current package
> maintainers (eric, takuo et al) and maybe from other free
> distributions. The last group is not accessible to me, since I have no
> connections to other projects.
> Maybe someone can help out on this?

I certainly can't help you there, and I'm not sure there is any
subentity within Debian that can usefully give you its blessing.

> BTW, I don't think they can claim the common words 'bird' and 'fox'
> their own, so 'freebird' would be valid as much as 'freefox' IMHO. The
> only name I am unsure of is 'freezilla'. But maybe we can work around
> this problem by naming it freexilla :)

There's no disguising the fact that "freefox" and "freebird" were
chosen to be similar to and evocative of the names "firefox" and
"thunderbird".  It's a matter of whether they are *confusingly*
similar.  The easiest way to answer that would be to ask the Moz
people whether they'd consider them confusingly similar or not.

-Brian