Re: Copyright Question

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:52:36PM +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
> Shouldn't the license be part of the dpkg -s output?
>
> At present, anyone wanting to select packages based on their license
> status has "DFSG-free"/"DFSG-non-free" as the selection criteria.
>
> This seems limiting.

We don't have any other useful criteria. The name of the license used
doesn't tell you what you can do with it, thanks to a variety of
ambiguous licenses which vary their meaning depending on how they are
used. Examples include the Artistic license and the GFDL.

Many licenses are capable of being applied in both free and non-free
ways.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |