Re: Copyright Question

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> writes:
>>
>> That seems a bit harsh; I think sarge would be quite usable for this
>> purpose, as long as you avoid GFDLed bits.  Is there anything GFDLed in
>> Debian that isn't in /usr/share/{doc,info,man} ?
>
> Gosh, nobody really knows.  This is part of why it's annoying to have
> non-free non-program software in Debian.

Which reminds me: why can't I do

   apt-cache search GFDL

and get a license?

Shouldn't the license be part of the dpkg -s output?

At present, anyone wanting to select packages based on their license
status has "DFSG-free"/"DFSG-non-free" as the selection criteria.

This seems limiting.

It might be nice, for example in an embedded system, to install packages
that were under "OSS" licenses, excluding "GFDL".

Would it make sense to add a License: field to the status information
available to dpkg?

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk