Re: LCC and blobs

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:

> You are the only person I've seen express views similar to mine on
> debian-legal.  All other participants argue for non-free-firmware-using
> drivers going in contrib.

I'm still entirely unclear on the logic of moving drivers that require
firmware to be loaded from disk to contrib. If they didn't require that
non-free code to be on disk, it'd be in a ROM on the device instead. All
drivers require non-free firmware - whether we have to ship it or not
should not affect the freedom (or otherwise) of a driver.

Let's pretend that Debian actually has a significant amount of leverage
on this sort of issue, and that vendors see their drivers appearing in
contrib and want to do something about it. They /could/ open the
firmware and provide a toolchain for it. We'd put the driver in main,
then. Alternatively, they could put the firmware in ROM. In this case,
the amount of non-free code on a user's system would not change, but
we'd move the driver to main anyway.

Note that this doesn't mean I think firmware should be in main. But I
think that's an entirely separate argument. Picking on drivers that
force us to notice their dependencies on non-free code while ignoring
drivers that are just as dependent (but in a less obvious way) is
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org