Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:33:59PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:33:38AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> That would require certain parts of d-i (and hence certain parts of
> >> main) to rely upon the contents of contrib. We can't do that.
> >
> > No, I believe that would create a Suggests-style relationship, not
> > a Depends, since d-i would still work without it (for many people).
> > Packages in main can Suggest packages not in main.
>
> d-i is modular. The module that provided that functionality would be
> likely to do little of any use without the presence of contrib.

So, libdvdread3 making use of libdvdcss by having libdvdread.so.3
dynamically open and use libdvdcss.so if it's there is OK; but if
the code that did this was itself in a small stub module (dvdread3
opening /usr/lib/dvdread/libdvdcss-loader.so), that stub module
would have to have its own package in contrib.

You're saying that, since d-i doesn't have a monolithic design, it
isn't allowed to support anything outside of main at all.

--
Glenn Maynard