Re: Is javacc DFSG compliant?

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> writes:

>> Or a license "you must acknowledge that any damage you might suffer as a
>> result of using this software is no greater than 99 cents"?
>
> That sounds like a weaker version of the warranty disclaimer in the GPL.

No, it's much stronger.  The GPL disclaimer is just disclaiming a
warranty.  This means I can't go after my insurance company, or some
paid consultant who recommended this software to me, either.

>>  If not, why is
>> "you must acknowledge <something that might put you at a disadvantage in
>> court>" free?
>
> Presumably because acknowledging the truth of something that is true
> is no burden. For example, "you must acknowledge that this software is
> released under the XPL" is probably acceptable in the text of the XPL,
> a hypothetical licence.
>
> The trouble with the no-nuclear acknowledgement is that it might not
> always be true: someone might want to create a derived work that is
> licensed for use in nuclear power stations.

Fortunately, only the original carries that notice.  In any case, I
don't believe you can get code written by others approved for this
purpose.  You have to write it from scratch under certain supervised conditions.