Re: GPL "or any greater version"

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 08:40:22PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Raul, nobody has claimed that the privileges which are available only
> to copyright holders make software non-free.  I and others have
> claimed that compulsions of asymmetric privileges are non-free.  The
> compulsions are what make that non-free -- an existing situation of
> asymmetry isn't necessarily non-free, though it might be for other
> reasons.

I understand this.

> The FSF page to which I posted a link was very clear that I can take
> gcc under the GPLv2, at my option.  In that case, I can make
> modifications and distribute the result under the GPLv2.

This has nothing to do with the issue I've been discussing, nor with
the previous paragraph.

In the previous paragraph, you were discussing the ability of upstream
to impose a new license on your patches.  In the latter paragraph,
you were discussing your option to distribute under the existing license.

--
Raul