Re: GPL "or any greater version" (was: NEW ocaml licence proposal)

Raul Miller writes:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 02:42:25PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> > What rights from the GPL are being restricted by using a specific
> > version of it?
>
> The right to use other versions of the GPL.

Please explain where that right comes from by citing unconditional
parts of the GPL.  As I said in the rest of my post (which you
omitted):

> > Section 9 only describes what happens when the original copyright
> > holder(s) indicate "<x> or any greater version" or if they do not
> > mention any version.

Section 9 simply does not give the right to choose any version of the
GPL other than what is specified by the copyright holder.

Michael Poole