Re: GPL "or any greater version"

Raul, nobody has claimed that the privileges which are available only
to copyright holders make software non-free.  I and others have
claimed that compulsions of asymmetric privileges are non-free.  The
compulsions are what make that non-free -- an existing situation of
asymmetry isn't necessarily non-free, though it might be for other
reasons.

The FSF page to which I posted a link was very clear that I can take
gcc under the GPLv2, at my option.  In that case, I can make
modifications and distribute the result under the GPLv2.

-Brian