Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 03:12:51AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I certainly agree.  The thrust of my comments was to make sure NMs
> understand that licensing issues are often difficult, and that if one isn't
> prepared to wrestle with them oneself, one needs to place more trust in
> one's peers who do.
>
> I am dismayed and exasperated by the recent trend of bashing the
> debian-legal list collectively,

I don't think turning around and blaming the NM process is a reasonable
reaction.

The debian-legal mailing list is often "bashed" because it repreresents
an extreme point of view relative to Debian proper.  Perhaps this is not
necessarily a bad thing - in light of recent events, scrupulous
adherenece to license issues has turned out to be the prudent course -
but if you want more respect and trust from your peers, you need to earn
it by empathizing with their point of view and convincing them you are
relevant, not by asking the NM process to instill the fear of
debian-legal in all new applicants.

> particularly when it comes from people who don't participate in its
> discussions.

> At any rate, I'm not saying we need to make the P&P process turn our NMs
> into legal experts.  I *am* saying we need to educate them that legal
> issues, even in Free Software, are sufficiently complex that expertise is
> actually required.  Armchair quarterbacking from a position of ignorance

Many folks see debian-legal as "armchair laywering" from a position of
ignorance.  How many participants are attorneys?

--
_ivan