Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>
>>>There's a strong feeling that people should be allowed to do what they
>>>want if it doesn't involve other people. Private undistributed
>>>modification falls within this. Distribution, on the other hand,
>>>is something that is of interest to the original developer. When
>>>multiple people are involved, there's a belief that they should both
>>>consent to what's going on.
>>
>>Not sure I understand the last sentence; when multiple people are
>>involved, *those people* would all consent to what's going on.
>
> One of the people involved in distribution is the copyright holder.

There are only two parties involved in a given act of distribution: the
distributor and the recipient.  The distributor may or may not be the
copyright holder.

The copyright holder must grant permission for distribution, but that
does not mean the copyright holder is involved in an individual act of
distribution.

- Josh Triplett