Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

MJ Ray said on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:24:26AM +0100,:

 > Personally, I'm not sure that is as much of a problem as the
 > requirement to distribute unpublished mods to a central authority on
 > request. I'd be interested to know whether this aspect of the tests is
 > grounded in the DFSG, and see that information added to the FAQ.

At some point  of generalisation, this becomes an  issue of striking a
balance between a particular user's right to keep his modifications to
himself, and right of the community  as a whole to have access to free
software.

 > As you can read elsewhere, I am not convinced that debian-legal is
 > equipped or wise to try to analyse licences in abstract.

I'm afraid that  this list will have to do both  - analyse licenses in
general,  and also scturinise  specific packages  when brought  to our
notice.

In the specific case of  licenses which are outright non-free, we need
to tell DDs / upstream that packages under a particular license cannot
be in the archives.

Analysis  of specific packages  would be  necessary, when  issues like
possible  patents, out  right license  violations,  dependency issues,
license incompatibilities, etc. arise.

To me,  this seems like  a two stage  process, we analyse  the license
first, and the package later on.

 > As I wrote before, I think a summary of consensus on the libcwd
 > situation is more useful than a licence summary.

If we decide that because libcwd is solely under the QPL, it cannot be
in main,  will some situation  arise where application X,  also solely
under QPL can be in main?

OTOH, how  can we say that  libcwd cannot be in  main without deciding
whether its license is DFSG compliant or not?

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
Free Software - it is free as in FREEDOM