Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:29:22 +0530 Mahesh T. Pai wrote:

> MJ Ray said on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:24:26AM +0100,:
[...]
>  > As you can read elsewhere, I am not convinced that debian-legal is
>  > equipped or wise to try to analyse licences in abstract.
>
> I'm afraid that  this list will have to do both  - analyse licenses in
> general,  and also scturinise  specific packages  when brought  to our
> notice.
>
> In the specific case of  licenses which are outright non-free, we need
> to tell DDs / upstream that packages under a particular license cannot
> be in the archives.
>
> Analysis  of specific packages  would be  necessary, when  issues like
> possible  patents, out  right license  violations,  dependency issues,
> license incompatibilities, etc. arise.
>
> To me,  this seems like  a two stage  process, we analyse  the license
> first, and the package later on.

I agree. Focussing on packages only would require too many analyses,
indeed.
We must also collect some sort of license database, so as we can say
"this package is solely under the L license, hence it cannot be
DFSG-free for sure".
Of course a number of packages have a less simple status (strange
license couplings, patents involved, additional requirements or
permissions, ...) and must be scrutinized on a case-by-case basis; but
many other packages would be a waste of time if we had to review the
same licenses again and again or to dig in the archives to recall if
some old package in a similar situation was judged free or not...

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 |  $ fortune
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = |  Q: What is purple
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |     and commutes?