Re: gens License Check - Non-free

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 21:01, Michael Poole wrote:
> Michael Poole writes:
>
> > What does the primary purpose have anything to do with it?  When I buy
> > a new computer, I do it because I want the functionality it offers --
> > not because it is a distribution medium for software.
>
> To tie that into GPL: Does that mean that if I buy a machine
> pre-installed with GPL'ed software, the GPL demands that all the other
> parts of that computer be GPL'ed?  Being a distribution medium is a
> convenient side effect of the computer; it is not the primary purpose.

To stick to my premise of approaching legal texts, yes, unlike a CD,
where the storage medium character is obvious, we have to look further
here. I would argue that with its hard drives and all, being a storage
medium is in fact an aspect of a computer and thus the "mere
aggregation" clause applies.

For the Linux kernel to be a storage medium we have to look even further
(and I'm afraid we won't find anything there).

-Patrick