Re: gens License Check - Non-free

> >  Why is this a problem?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 12:55:47PM -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:
> *because* the GPL exempts "mere aggregation"

> >  The GPL excercises the right to control the distribution of
> >  collective works based on GPLed code. It grants an exception, but
> >  that exception doesn't apply to the linux kernel.

> why not?

Because the linux kernel does not represent mere aggregation of one part
of the kernel with some other part on some storage volume.

It's not a coincidence that the parts of the kernel are there together.

> That's where my question demands an answer: where is the
> transformation? When you show me the transformation, it's a derived
> work; when you show me aggregation of parts, it's exempted by the GPL.

Why is this important?  Which transformations are you specifically
asking about?  What is their legal significance?

Thanks,

--
Raul