Re: gens License Check - Non-free

Patrick Herzig writes:

> The question is if the Linux kernel itself can be interpreted as being a
> "storage or distribution medium". Storage or distribution of binary
> blobs is at least not the primary purpose of the Linux kernel as it
> would be much easier to just store or distribute them on tape.

What does the primary purpose have anything to do with it?  When I buy
a new computer, I do it because I want the functionality it offers --
not because it is a distribution medium for software.

> Also, the Linux kernel is, unlike a tape or a CD, not really suitable
> for storing or distributing binary blobs as it is (in that sense)
> intangible and needs to be attached to a medium to be stored or
> distributed.

I don't follow.  Does this line of argument mean that a Debian mirror
server or archive violates the GPL, since Debian too is intangible?

Michael