Re: license change for POSIX manpages

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:53:18 -0700 Josh Triplett wrote:

> >>One other issue: does "and the nroff source is included" mean that
> >>if I want to hand someone a printed copy of a manual page, I have to
> >>either print the nroff source or supply it on an attached disk?
> >>This seems onerous for physical distribution.
> >
> > This is what happens if you apply the GPL to documentation, and it
> > seems to be considered acceptable.
> The GPL has an option for just providing an offer to provide source on
> request.

Moreover, the GPL requires that *source code* be accompanied or offered.
This POSIX license requires that *nroff source* be included.

What if I created a derivative work by
step 0) converting it from nroff to some other typesetting language
        (e.g. DocBook XML, LaTeX, XHTML, ...)
step 1) then applying lots of modifications to it

In that case, I'd say the new source code is in the other language (say,
DocBook): with the GPL I'd have to accompany or offer the new source
code in order to distribute my derivative work.

But what should I do in order to distribute my derivative work *and* to
comply with the POSIX license?
No nroff source would exist for my derivative work...
Such a derivative work would be undistributable, correct me if I'm

             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,