Re: license change for POSIX manpages

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:53:18 -0700 Josh Triplett wrote:

> >>One other issue: does "and the nroff source is included" mean that
> >>if I want to hand someone a printed copy of a manual page, I have to
> >>either print the nroff source or supply it on an attached disk?
> >>This seems onerous for physical distribution.
> >
> > This is what happens if you apply the GPL to documentation, and it
> > seems to be considered acceptable.
>
> The GPL has an option for just providing an offer to provide source on
> request.

Moreover, the GPL requires that *source code* be accompanied or offered.
This POSIX license requires that *nroff source* be included.

What if I created a derivative work by
step 0) converting it from nroff to some other typesetting language
        (e.g. DocBook XML, LaTeX, XHTML, ...)
step 1) then applying lots of modifications to it
?

In that case, I'd say the new source code is in the other language (say,
DocBook): with the GPL I'd have to accompany or offer the new source
code in order to distribute my derivative work.

But what should I do in order to distribute my derivative work *and* to
comply with the POSIX license?
No nroff source would exist for my derivative work...
Such a derivative work would be undistributable, correct me if I'm
wrong.

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,