Re: license change for POSIX manpages

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Josh Triplett:
>>One other issue: does "and the nroff source is included" mean that if I
>>want to hand someone a printed copy of a manual page, I have to either
>>print the nroff source or supply it on an attached disk?  This seems
>>onerous for physical distribution.
>
> This is what happens if you apply the GPL to documentation, and it
> seems to be considered acceptable.

The GPL has an option for just providing an offer to provide source on
request.  If you apply the GPL to documentation, distributors of
physical copies can just include a one-liner saying "if you want the
source, ask me".  With this license, you must include the source in the
same distribution.  I don't think it is non-free, just highly inconvenient.

- Josh Triplett