Re: You can't get a copy unless you accept the GPL [was: Re: libkrb53 - odd license term]

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:32:22PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> That would bring me to the conclusion that I must accept the GPL in
> order to make a copy of a GPL'd work.
>
> See for example GPL#4:
>
> [   4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
> [ except as expressly provided under this License.
>

> On the other hand GPL#5 itself says I'm required to accept the GPL only
> in order to distribute or modify...
>
> Could you explain how's that possible?

Interpret as you will.  I interpret this to mean that I can make copies of
and/or modifications to a program for personal use, and that that act is not
defined as 'copying' for purposes of copyright.  Copyright only becomes
involved when I decide to distribute copies or modifications to a third
party, at which time I will have to accept the GPL and abide by its terms.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>