Re: You can't get a copy unless you accept the GPL [was: Re: libkrb53 - odd license term]

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:27:00AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> But that is actually irrelevant. The relevant part is that no matter
> where you consider the copy to be "made", *I* am the one who is
> causing the computers (my own and the server) to make a copy at that
> particular time and place.

If I make photocopies of a book and put them on a shelf with a "Free!"
sign, and you then take a copy, I'm the one who made the copy available,
and the one needing permission from the copyright holder.  It don't
see how it's any different if I set up a printer with a button saying
"Push for free book!".  "I didn't actually make the copy; he's the one
who pushed the button!" isn't something I'd try in court.

I've only seen free licenses written in terms of the sender: "here are
the terms under which you can give copies to others", and never "here
are the terms under which you can receive copies from others".

Also, you often can't view even free licenses until *after* receiving the
work.  /usr/share/doc/foo/copyright is part of Debian packages; I can't
read it until I already have it (unless I bend over backwards, such
as by finding the license elsewhere, apart from the package).

--
Glenn Maynard