Re: Which license for a documentation?

MJ Ray wrote:
> Related, is the following licence DFSG-free:
>
> "I grant permission to you to do any act with my work. Please ask me to
> link to mirrors. Please link to this site and credit the contributors.
> No warranty offered and no liability accepted."

"Please link to this site" seems non-free to me.  What if you are making
a copy in a medium which does not support links?  What if the copy will
be behind a restrictive firewall that doesn't allow access to external
websites?  What if your site goes down, or is replaced by something
people don't want to link to?  Also, if you copied the software from a
mirror, does "this site" refer to the original or a mirror?

If by "Please ask me to link to mirrors." you mean "If you want me to
put a link to your mirror on my site, ask.", then that clause is fine,
but really shouldn't be part of the license.  It is not related to
copying the work; it just provides information about how to get your
mirror listed on the official site.

> ?  Also, does it seem legally useful?

Depends, what are you trying to achieve?

- Josh Triplett