Re: DFSG#10 [was: Re: Draft Debian-legal summary of the LGPL]

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 02:24:41AM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> On May 21, 2004, at 18:36, Lewis Jardine wrote:
>
> >8 bears a lot of resemblance to "don't break the law" clauses
>
> IMO, "Mexicans can't distribute this software" isn't free, even if its
> part of the GPL.

Let's not get carried away.

The potential restriction in the GNU GPL clause 8 is geographic in
nature, not a withholding of the license terms from people based on
their *inherent* characteristics.

Yes, if applied by the copyright holder, it would fail the DFSG either
way, but I find it a little distasteful to imply that the GNU GPL was
intended to promote nationalist prejudice.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       "Bother," said Pooh, as he was