Re: GPL and scripting languages (here: python2.3-psycopg)

Quoting Federico Di Gregorio <fog@debian.org>:
> Il mer, 2004-04-07 alle 18:25, W. Borgert ha scritto:
> > Maybe you could change the license to GPL+"special
> > exception", where "special exception" is some statement,
> > that it is always allowed to use the psycopg API for
> > whatever software with whatever license.  I remember that
> > many code generators such as bison and snacc do allow that
> > the generated code can be used for everything, GPL or not.
>
> the README already states (or maybe I said that on the ML and never
> added?) that psycopg can be used in proprietary products that use the
> standard python calls but can't be linked/loaded into a proprierary
> python or into a proprietary C python module. just don't know if that
> exception is GPL-compatible. :(

If you say: GPL + give the right to use psycopg on the API level
for any software, I'm almost sure, there is no problem at all.
IANAL.

/usr/share/doc/python2.3-psycopg/README.gz says:

"psycopg is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(at your option) any later version. See file COPYING for details.

As a special exception, specific permission is granted for the GPLed
code in this distribition to be linked to OpenSSL and PostgreSQL libpq
without invoking GPL clause 2(b)."

So an additional clause would be nice.

Cheers, WB