Re: Fwd: [Politech] California DeCSS case eventually, finally, over [ip]

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> Note that we're not really interested in decss, and libdvdcss is the
> important one, so however this plays out it needs to result in a
> decision that means libdvdcss is okay too (getting off on a
> technicality is no good).
>
> I'm not sure that the trade secret issue was ever an issue for
> libdvdcss.

   Especially since Lindows is distributing libdvdcss with its DVD
player and calls it a "licensed commercial decryption codec", which
probably means the DVDCCA is aware of libdvdcss and even allows its
redistribution (under the GPL, of course, because the libdvdcss authors
never gave permission to redistribute under other terms).

--
Sam.