Re: [ardour-dev] The Ardour Manual

Hi!

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004, Paul Davis wrote:

<http://ardour.sf.net/manual.html>
<http://ardour.sf.net/manual.pdf>

> >* What license is the scrambled manual placed under? (An open source
> >  license can hardly be used because pdf is a very opaque format.)
> >* Can it be redistributed? If yes, in what format?
>
> good questions. wish i had answers. any suggestions? i guess since its
> online, the scrambled one may as well be redistributable. but what
> license? i don't know.

Hmm. Provide the LaTex code (scrambled) and place it under the GPL.
Providing source code (LaTex) that contains a few errors (scrambling)
might still qualify as "source code" because it _is_ the sourcecode for
the PDF. Problem is that someone could start distributing "corrected"
versions.

Maybe the Debian legal people can come up with an idea.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> gfdl springs to mind.

The GFDL (I think like most other opensource licenses) cannot be applied
to the PDF. It's an opaque format (not easily modifyable with a simple
editor. <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html>).

And Debian (as well as others) has serious problems with the GFDL:
<http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml>

	Robert.