Re: Advice on Drip (ITP #156287)

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:19:53AM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > It is important to note that libdvdcss is _NOT_ part of Drip. There are
> > unofficial libdvdcss packages around, and I added them to Build-Conflicts
> > to ensure Drip is not accidentaly linked against it.
>
>    Uh? I suggest you have a more precise look at the Drip source code
> and see how exactly it uses libdvdcss. My understanding is that it does
> not at all: it only uses libdvdread. The Drip author seems to be
> largely confusing what is installed at build time and what is present
> at runtime; the warning about libdvdcss not being present is triggered
> when libdvdcss is not present on the _build_ system.

No, autoconf checks for libdvdcss and if found Drip is linked against it:

$ ldd /usr/bin/drip | grep libdvdcss
        libdvdcss.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2 (0x4019a000)

My understanding is that Drip being linked against libdvdcss is illegal
in the USA, so a solution could be to put it in non-us.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)