Advice on Drip (ITP #156287)

[ Please CC me, I'm not subscribed ]

Hello!

I'm finishing the initial release of the Drip debian package (ITP #156287)
which is almost ready for upload. The only resting nitpick is a possible
legal problem.

The README.Debian I'm pasting below explains for itself, I think everything
should be ok the way I have put it, but would appreciate confirmation before
uploading to the archive.

It is important to note that libdvdcss is _NOT_ part of Drip. There are
unofficial libdvdcss packages around, and I added them to Build-Conflicts
to ensure Drip is not accidentaly linked against it.

<-------------------README.Debian start
Drip for Debian
---------------

The purpose of this program is the creation of backup copies for your legaly
owned DVD movies. Some of these DVD movies implement an annoying CSS
"protection" to prevent you from creating backups, and Drip has support for
using the libdvdcss library, which breaks this protection.

Such support is, however, disabled in this package because enabling it would
violate the DMCA and possibly other laws. This means in some states including
but not necessarily limited to, the USA, it might be illegal to build Drip
with libdvdcss support enabled, and/or distribute or even use such a build of
Drip.

Neither the authors of this program, nor the maintainer of the Debian package,
nor the Debian project is responsible in any way for the person who illegaly
enables libdvdcss support in Drip.

If you think it is legal to do that in your state, you can do that (under your
entire responsability) by following these instructions:
[...blah blah...]
<-------------------README.Debian end

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)