Re: DFSG FAQ (draft)

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> discussion whether software documentation in Debian has to meet the
> DFSG, or some different standards specific to documentation.

Three problems with that hypothesis:-

1. We don't have any way of distinguishing software and this documentation
in a safe manner.  My local research suggests that software is generally
treated as a literary work and electronic documentation definitely is.
Even if Debian can distinguish them, I'm not sure that the law can.

2. The documentation is not the issue.  The entire FDL-covered work is.

3. What about other content?

> [...] some choices in the range of license terms offered by
> the GFDL could still meet Debian's standards, although this subject to
> debate as well.

Consensus appeared to be forming that there were other problems than
the optional parts, I thought, but the thread is cold.

[...]

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
Thought: Edwin A Abbott wrote about trouble with Windows in 1884