Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

On Dec 16, 2003, at 11:28, Jeremy Hankins wrote:

You may well be right, I can't really claim to know. But you don't seem
to be answering Brian's point.

I'm probably not :-( I've been quite short on time for the last few days, so reading -legal has been put on the back-burner. I've managed to give quick replies to the messages Brian cc'd to me.

Now that I've managed to catch up on this thread, I'm going to try and do a better job.

If I understand him, he's saying that the author of the plugin is doing
the work of pairing his code with the host (even if, in fact, it will be
paired many times and by many people) and that that's where copyright
subsists, and where a derivative work is created.  Arguably, the plugin
itself (sans host) is a derivative of the plugin+host which the author
created first.

Keeping in mind the original situation, host = X11 license, plugin A = GPL, plugin B = OpenSSL, we were wondering "can Debian ship host + A + B?" I think we agreed that if they were in separate packages, the answer would be 'yes'. See my position summary from December 9th, and the responses to it, here: <http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200312/ msg00121.html>

According to the list archives, Brian T. Sniffen had one response about what license people would receive the host under. Also he had one about the hypothetical script.

The point I am trying to make here is that Debian is fine if we happen to put all the plugins in the same package, along with the host. I base this on the GPL allowing 'mere aggregations'.

From the definitions in US law, it's fairly clear, I think, that the package, if it is a copyrightable work at all, would be a compilation, not a derivative work. It was then argued that it can't be a compilation, because when the Debian maintainer put host + A together, there was no original work of authorship.

Now, what I'm trying to say is that, yes, a significant amount of creativity (the standard for copyright in the US) went into A to make it work with host. A's author may of even created the work A+host, though I doubt it was ever subject to copyright (probably only existed in RAM). However, even if he did, it doesn't matter to Debian: We received, alone, the work A, not A+host. And if we happen to recreate the work A+host, that's fine; independent recreation is a full defense against copyright.

Basically, "tar cjf a+host.tbz plugin-a/ host/" does not create a compilation or a derivative work. It creates what is, in the GPL's words, a "mere aggregation." IOW, it's perfectly legal.

But even if the courts don't take such a literalist view, I have trouble
accepting your claim that since the creative work and the pairing that
results from it are separated in space & time that there's no derivative
work.

The important part is that since _I_ did the pairing, I'm the only one who could have the copyright over the pairing itself. (A's author naturally retains his copyright over A, which may be a derivative work of host; and host's author retains his copyright over host)

  Clearly the pairing was the purpose of the authors creative work
-- to argue about whether or not he actually paired it is to devolve
into philosophical hair splitting.

No it's not. If you don't actually create --- and fix --- a work, you can't have a copyright on it.

And even if you do, if someone else does it as well, they have a copyright on it. Or, quite likely, neither of you do, because it wasn't deserving of copyright in the first place.

If I'm a radical artist and fire a cannon from miles away to land on a
sculpture, is the resulting "art" not a derivative of the original
sculpture because I wasn't there when it hit?

No, because you can mutilate your copy of a work, and that's mostly outside the scope of copyright law. Though, before you fire, you may want to check in to the sculptor's moral rights to prevent damage to his work....

 How about if it's a copy
rather than the original?

Much more likely, but I'd question whether shooting a cannon at something meets the standard of an original work of authorship ;-)