Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

On Dec 9, 2003, at 13:38, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:

However, what I'm saying is that if you bundle the existing
host and the existing plugin into a composite work, you may
have created a derivative work. Just like if I put an existing
photograph next to an existing text to produce an illustrated
article.

I think that process is much better described by:

	A ''compilation'' is a work formed by the collection and
	assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are
	selected, coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the
	resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of
	authorship. The term ''compilation'' includes collective
	works.

than

	A ''derivative work'' is a work based upon one or more
	preexisting works, such as a translation, musical
	arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion
	picture version, sound recording, art reproduction,
	abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a
	work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting
	of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other
	modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of
	authorship, is a ''derivative work''.