Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2003, at 13:38, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> >However, what I'm saying is that if you bundle the existing
> >host and the existing plugin into a composite work, you may
> >have created a derivative work. Just like if I put an existing
> >photograph next to an existing text to produce an illustrated
> >article.
>
> I think that process is much better described by:
>
> 	A ''compilation'' is a work formed by the collection and
> 	assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are
> 	selected, coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the
> 	resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of
> 	authorship. The term ''compilation'' includes collective
> 	works.

That would seem to fit much better than derivative work, yes.
However I do wonder whether the combination of host and plugin
constitutes an original work of authorship? There seems to
be little creativity involved.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself