Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 15:16, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:

> > That would seem to fit much better than derivative work, yes.
> > However I do wonder whether the combination of host and plugin
> > constitutes an original work of authorship? There seems to
> > be little creativity involved.
>
> Sure there is -- but it's performed by the person who wrote the
> plugin, as he sculpts the interface to fit to the host, and to provide
> useful functionality to it -- not merely by itself.

Copyright law (at least in the US) recongnizes that a creative effort
can go into selecting, arranging, etc. the pieces of a compilation. If
there is sufficient creativity in doing that, the compilation gets a
copyright which is seperate from the copyrights of each of the works
inside the compilation.