Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:
> > The package is the result of collection and
> > assembling of two preexisting materials. However, what is the
> > reason for qualifying the resulting work as an original work
> > of authorship? The definition seems to suggest that the
> > _compilation_ must be original, not its parts.
>
> I think I'm agreeing with you, but I'm not convinced I entirely
> undersstand where you're going with this.

The original issue, as far as I understood is, was whether it
is allowed to bundle a GPL-licensed plugin with a host program
under a GPL-incompatible license. Or actually, a host that
also uses a second plugin which is under a GPL-incompatible license,
but that shouldn't make a difference.

The host and the plugin can obviously be distributed separately
as they are original works created by different people. But can
someone take them, put them together into a single package and
distribute the result?

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself