Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Arnoud Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:
> > Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> >> 	A ''compilation'' is a work formed by the collection and
> >> 	assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are
> >> 	selected, coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the
> >> 	resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of
> >> 	authorship. The term ''compilation'' includes collective
> >> 	works.
> >
> > That would seem to fit much better than derivative work, yes.
> > However I do wonder whether the combination of host and plugin
> > constitutes an original work of authorship? There seems to
> > be little creativity involved.
>
> Sure there is -- but it's performed by the person who wrote the
> plugin, as he sculpts the interface to fit to the host, and to provide
> useful functionality to it -- not merely by itself.

Yes, the plugin most definitely is an original, creative work.
It does not seem to qualify under the definition of "compilation"
quoted by Anthony above, though.

If I take an existing host program and an existing plugin,
configure the host to automatically load the plugin, and
then bundle both into a single package, have I created such
a "compilation"? The package is the result of collection and
assembling of two preexisting materials. However, what is the
reason for qualifying the resulting work as an original work
of authorship? The definition seems to suggest that the
_compilation_ must be original, not its parts.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself