Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:

> There are perl plugins for OpenSSL. There are perl plugins for all
> kinds of GPL stuff. There is nothing wrong with that.

Yes.  But there's a spectrum there, between something like perl where
the plugins/libraries are most reasonably considered completely separate
works and some other case where everything's distributed together and
tightly integrated enough to be considered a single work.

I don't think there are many people ready to argue that plugins will
*always*, *necessarily* require compatible licenses with all other
plugins for the same parent code, but there is a grey area.  Unless
you're ready to consult a lawyer you should probably steer well clear of
that grey area.  Perl, I think, isn't really in that grey area (unless
the same perl code uses both libs).

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>