Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

>> OK, say I use the X11 license.  Now suppose someone installs a closed
>> source plugin.  Suppose it also happens that this same user has
>> installed some GPL plugin.  Both plugins would be allowed separately,
>> right?  When the user runs the program, it will load both plugins.
>> Would this in some magical way make the plugins derived works of each
>> other, thus violating the GPL?
>
> No. But a vendor could get into trouble if they shipped both.

How's that?  The GPL allows distribution together with non-GPL works,
as long as the non-GPL things are not derived from anything GPL'd.  In
my opinion, placing two shared objects in the same tar file doesn't
make one a derived work of the other.  Would it make a difference if
the offending (to rms) plugins were distributed separately?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se