Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org> writes:

>> > Of course, from a Debian perspective, I would imagine that as
>> > long as you don't use Recommends to pull in a GPL plugin, you'd
>> > probably be safe; Suggests simply says 'these work together', and
>> > a user must make an active choice at some stage or other to get
>> > them used - it isn't a default choice, and thus Debian is in no
>> > way encouraging users to treat the GPLed plugins as part of the
>> > main work, rather than as a separate set of works which happen to
>> > implement the API and be useable with the origional program.
>>
>> Completely agreed.
>
> Glad to know I'm not completely off base. And, since the prospective
> packager has indicated that he'll probably be going this route, I
> suspect I won't have much more useful input on the matter (and as
> such, will try not to express any more input at all :)

I am the author of both the main program and a bunch of plugins.  The
problem is that some plugins depend on GPL'd libraries.  I'm looking
for a licensing that allows distribution of both the main program and
plugins, either separately or bundled.  I'll (probably) be licensing
the main program and plugins without third-party dependencies under
the MIT license.  Is it allowed to use the MIT license for source code
of plugins depending on GPL'd libraries?  Is it in any way allowed to
distribute those plugins compiled?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se