Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

Op wo 08-10-2003, om 02:53 schreef Brian T. Sniffen:
> Gabucino <gabucino@mplayerhq.hu> writes:
>
> > Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >> One version of VirtualDub could read ASF files, and that was quickly removed.
> >> That was back in 2000, and I just checked: the news entries appear to have
> >> fallen off the site.
> > There is a significant part to these patent enforcement stories: they all
> > happen on Win32 platform. Microsoft has never enforced media patents on Linux
> > market, as far as I know.
>
> That's irrelevant if they actually own the patent: the goal is not to
> avoid getting sued, it's to avoid breaking the law.

In theory, yes. However, in practice, when dealing with patents, I
suggest you do pursue just that 'not getting sued' goal; since literally
everything computer-related is patented, there's no other way.

> If you've found a violation of the DFSG in xine, please file a serious
> bug against xine-ui or libxine1, as appropriate.

The violation wouldn't be DFSG-related (the DFSG doesn't say anything
about patents, only about licenses).

--
Wouter Verhelst
If you're running Microsoft Windows, either scan your computer on