Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

Bcc to Avery Lee (phaeron at virtualdub dot org); I don't want to stick
his address in the archives for harvesting without his permission.

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:00:28PM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> > Of course, I don't know the details of any related patents (and don't
> > wish to); I'm only going from what I've heard: TMPGEnc had MPEG-2 issues,
> > MP3 encoding issues are well-known, and VirtualDub had ASF issues.
> > (These are all issues of patents that have been actively enforced, at
> > least in the past.)
>
>    I am looking for examples of such enforcements, do you have any
> pointers by chance?

One version of VirtualDub could read ASF files, and that was quickly removed.
That was back in 2000, and I just checked: the news entries appear to have
fallen off the site.

Avery, we're discussing the current ASF support in Xine and Mplayer and
possible patent issues.  Could you confirm that ASF-related patents have
been enforced in the past?

TMPGEnc had MPEG-2 encoding issues back (reading the changelog) around
Dec 12.  I can't find many details, but http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_contact.html
says "Because of MPEG-2 licensing matter, we are not able to provide
unlimited MPEG-2 encoding function for free, thus, TMPGEnc (which you
can download from this website) has limited MPEG-2 encoding function
because it is free."  I recall that being a patent issue, but can't find
anything more specific.

--
Glenn Maynard